Open Zeebo
Gostaria de reagir a esta mensagem? Crie uma conta em poucos cliques ou inicie sessão para continuar.

Backing Up Zeebo Games.

+4
Kez
metallizer
TripleOxygen
Rockman
8 participantes

Página 1 de 2 1, 2  Seguinte

Ir para baixo

Backing Up Zeebo Games. Empty Backing Up Zeebo Games.

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 11:45

I know this title is very controversial and could definitely open the door for piracy and I know that this site and the purpose of OpenZeebo is not for that. But I am interested in backing up the games I have on my Zeebo simply because I live in the USA and I don't have access to games as easily as you guys do.

For example, right now my Zeebo is having problems with restarts and power downs. I think that it may have to do with the adapter just being bad (I go into it indepth over at the zeeboclub forums, here's the link for anyone who cares: http://forum.zeeboclub.com/t5621p30-novos-firmware-zeebo-e-reiniciando#140996 ), but either way this has got me to thinking: what if my games erase? I bought mine through an online auction and luckily it came with a good amount of games, but if they all erase then I won't have any =( .

Again, not wondering about piracy, just generally asking is there a way (either now or in the future) that I could take the games off my system and save them on my pc just in case of an accident?

Rockman
Membro

Ir para o topo Ir para baixo

Backing Up Zeebo Games. Empty Re: Backing Up Zeebo Games.

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sex 04 Fev 2011, 12:31

Well, as for backing up the games, we are pretty sure it can be done, as long as you restore to the same Zeebo. The license file that comes with each games is tied to your IMEI. The console doesn't have an ESN number (it reads all 0), therefore the IMEI is the only unique-and-secure way to keep people from copying its content.

You can copy all files inside Zeebo to your PC, what I still haven't tried, is to delete it and then copy it back. I'll give it a try soon and report back.

Unfortunately, this may find its way on the piracy side. As you noticed, we do not condone piracy and hope no one ever uses the info available here in such way.

You asked me before about inserting another SIM card in Zeebo. I got good news for you: it works. Smile As long you modify the correct files inside the console, you may use another phone carrier's SIM on Zeebo. You probably won't be able to receive updates, but you can at least browse the Web with it (but still locked to Zeebo's approved content only though).
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

http://www.tripleoxygen.net

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 12:42

Yeah, I made it a point to let ppl know that I wasn't condoning piracy, just worried about my games since I don't live in Brazil lol. How do I copy the files though? Just use the USB mini port on the back of the zeebo?

And on the topic of the sim? Wow! Thats GREAT news! Even if it can't receive updates at the moment, I feel like it's a step in the right direction!

Is it a lengthy or hard process to modify the files that allow you to do that? If it isn't would you mind telling me how so that I could at least see if I am able to access zeebonet from the USA?

Either way, Thanks a lot!

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 12:45

I hope it's just a PSU issue, that's way easier to work around than one of the buggy earlier firmware releases.

this craptastic behavior might be the reason why the seller took a plunge and sold the system.

If it's not the PSU, you could try let the system idle for a moment at the instructions screens or at the zwheel, it helps the system to stabilize while the full boot up procedure is complete.

At one point I had to rush thru both instructions screens by mashing 1 or the system would crash right there, it worked all right if it arrived at zwheel.

Another firmware update, if I did not stale for a moment at the instructions screens, wireless would not start up.

king
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

http://my.opera.com/metallizer1/blog/

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 12:57

metallizer escreveu:I hope it's just a PSU issue, that's way easier to work around than one of the buggy earlier firmware releases.

this craptastic behavior might be the reason why the seller took a plunge and sold the system.

If it's not the PSU, you could try let the system idle for a moment at the instructions screens or at the zwheel, it helps the system to stabilize while the full boot up procedure is complete.

At one point I had to rush thru both instructions screens by mashing 1 or the system would crash right there, it worked all right if it arrived at zwheel.

Another firmware update, if I did not stale for a moment at the instructions screens, wireless would not start up.

king

Yeah lol I actually rush through all of it to start the game because usually if I can get past the first stage then the system will work for days at a time before it decides that it wants to act up or until I take the power adapter out. I've never tried to idle at the zwheel, maybe I'll give that a go. About how long do you think I should wait?

Also I'm still in touch with the guy who sold it to me, he's a stand up guy as he could've easily just stopped answering my e-mails or trying to help me through this as he's in Brazil and I'm all the way over here, but he claims to not have had this problem when he had it so I'm pretty hopeful that the adapter just got messed up in transit or for whatever reason it just doesn't work well here (it's a bivolt adapter so it works on American outlets, but it still could be problematic).

Thanks for the insight though! Very Happy

Oh! and I also have another question, what is the latest firmware? Im wondering because I wan't to see how far behind mine may be.

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 13:15

let it idle for five minutes just to be sure, enough time for it to deal with the fact that it's not in brazil.

for firmware, mine is at 1.0.696.3F

you can look up at, "configuration", lower right corner, but it depends which version you have.

Earlier releases had no number at all.

Then it was displayed at boot up

and finally moved to configuration.

metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sex 04 Fev 2011, 13:30

Give a try with another PSU. Any 5V, 3A min. will do. Just pay respect to pin's polarity. The one that comes with Zeebo is pretty simple, and while it says it can deliver 3A, that's likely a lie. :-P

I also noticed that the 3G connection procedure is quite "sensitive" and it may not connect at all if you don't wait a little bit at the instructions screen.

As for the firmware version, the only version you gonna see, its the Zeebo App one (Zeebo App is the main Zeebo GUI). Mine is 1.0.696.3F. We believe the OTA updates are related to the GUI and assets only, not internal OS stuff.

About the rear USB connection: yes, you need to use that port, but it's disabled. That's what the "fuss" is about: enabling it without complex means, like a JTAG dongle. For now, the only way to get it working is by tapping a JTAG cable/dongle to Zeebo's interface and issuing some commands to give you access to the BREW Appmgr. There, you may enable it.

If you can find JTAG cable/dongle, you can follow the instruction found on Wiki to get it working. It's in portuguese, in case automatic translation proves useless, please contact us. :-)
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 13:39

even if it's only related to the Zeebo App, you only get Zeebo App updates with the current firmware, outdated firmware will refuse Zeebo App updates.

So, it's a good way to know where you are at the firmware path.
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 13:43

Hmm, my firmware is on 1.0.696.3F as well...

I'm pretty sure it's the adapter now! I mean does either of you guys have the restarting problems as much or even at all like I do?

If not or not as frequently then it's probably the adapter. Also metallizer, about it "dealing with the fact that it's not in brazil".. would that matter even if it can't connect to the Zeebonet? Or maybe that's your point exactly? Don't mind me, I'm just excited that I may be able to take my system to a friends house without having to worry about it working or not!

Also @tripleoxygen, I'll see if I can get my hands on a JTAG cable/dongle and follow your steps. This is all pretty exciting, especially considering a few weeks ago when I got the zeebo I couldn't find any help or discussion at all and now I have all the support and help from you guys that I could ask for!

Thanks

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sex 04 Fev 2011, 13:57

Since I'm quite new to Zeebo scene (bought my first console last October), didn't have a chance to experience the previous firmware versions.

It's known that Tectoy recalled all the consoles from the first batch to update it for the new accessories. And that actually involved BREW and/or your components to be updated. That may prove that Tectoy can't issue OTA OS updates, so they had to manually write the new system (probably via JTAG. Long live JTAG!).

So, we can roughly assume there are two main Zeebo's firmware version in the wild: pre and post-recall. Razz

Related to the restarting issue: no, never had something like that with any of my consoles. Since I'm always messing around with them for the project purposes, it stays on all day. The only crashes/restarts I experience are from writing bad code to the RAM or poking stuff I'm not supposed to!

It would be nice if you can get a JTAG adapter to try it. For now, I'm the only one working on Zeebo with a JTAG, so if more people actually tried it too, we can make sure every step works for everyone or find where do we need to change to encompass every user.

Edit: moved topic
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 14:18

if you are at 696.3F it might be a good idea to wait until five zwheel scrolls to start using the system.

Every time I cold start mine, at the 2nd or 3rd scroll the system trades information with the zeebonet, only after that the boot up process ends.

Última edição por metallizer em Sex 04 Fev 2011, 15:04, editado 2 vez(es)
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 14:52

Thanks for the idea Metallizer.

I'll give it a try when I get off from work... in 5 more hours =(

I'll report my findings back here. Also, tripleO, what's the best JTAG adapter to get for the zeebo stuff? Let me know, I may order it or go buy it today!

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por Kez Sex 04 Fev 2011, 15:16

I was thinking... maybe reboots are related with roaming or no coverage area.
Maybe Zeebo reboots to try to find network or to avoid roaming.

Kez
Moderador

Mensagem por RssV Sex 04 Fev 2011, 15:43

Kez escreveu:I was thinking... maybe reboots are related with roaming or no coverage area.
Maybe Zeebo reboots to try to find network or to avoid roaming.
Not likely, I'd say. Back in mid-2009 when I got a Zeebo on experimental launch, it used to reboot A LOT while playing some games, Double Dragon among the main ones. This has changed considerably with new firmware releases, and reboots are much less frequent. I'll try DD again these days to know whether it still reboots.

But I never noticed what metallizer said. May be useful.

@Rockman: O3 just pointed this one at other topic:
http://www.signalyzer.com/
Um Signalyzer H2 + ARM-JTAG.
RssV
RssV
Admin
Admin

http://www.zeebobrasil.com

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 17:13

So this would be the best set for me?

http://www.signalyzer.com/signalyzer-series/starter-kits/signalyzer-arm-jtag-starter-kit

If so I'm going to order it next Friday (2/11/11).

I'm pretty excited! Just hope I don't screw up my zeebo as I only have one! lol

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sex 04 Fev 2011, 17:40

Yes, this one works perfectly! It's the one I have.

If you don't plan hacking inside the system and just enable the port or simple things, you can try to find a cheaper one, like a Wiggler type, as long as it supports 2.6V targets (but you need a PC with parallel port for that).
I have this one because I use it on a lot of other projects, from debugging embedded systems to general GPIO stuff and bit-banging serial protocols. Also, it has adaptive clocking, so If you ever need to dump your Zeebo's memory, it's way faster.

It's up to you, but I loved it! Oleg, the guy behind Signalyzer/Xerve, is a nice person in case you need to contact him. Also, make sure you're able to solder some wires to your Zeebo, as there are just pads on the mainboard, and no socket to quickly attach your JTAG. Have a look: http://projects.tripleoxygen.net/openzeebo/index.php?title=Arquivo:Jtag_zeebo.jpg

Just don't delete anything before backing it up and don't feed your console with the destructive file. If you don't know about it, you're safe. Smile
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 20:52

Soooo yeah tried to get it to go through 5 z-wheel scrolls before I started the game? And it shut off at about 3 lol. Though as Im typing this now it's gone through about 5 and it hasn't turned off yet... when I'm finished typing I'll go into the game and see how it goes.

I really have no idea whats going on with this system besides it just being a zeebo =/ .

Any other ideas I'd be seriously welcomed to hear them!

Also TripleO, I didn't know I had to solder stuff.. Im sooo scared when it comes to soldering, is it hard? I seriously dont wanna mess up the only zeebo I have!

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sex 04 Fev 2011, 21:21

No, it's not hard. Smile But yes, unfortunately, you need to solder some wires.

I've been experimenting with my adapter to simulate the lower speeds a Wiggler user would use and I noticed a behavior that may influence your choice on which one to buy:
Adapter without adaptive clocking (RTCK) are likely to fail to connect and issue commands after MSM7201A's ARM11 core has started. This won't be a problem if all you want is to enable the port or run the homebrew patch. But if you plan to play around, this is a turndown, as you can't use the interface with ARM11 running.

But, my adapter may be the culprit, I don't know. Since it has the RTCK, it can just fail if you don't use it. I'll modify my Wiggler-clone to work with lower voltages and test again.
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 21:53

if you went thru instructions fast, scroll 3 should be the end of boot up. You could try to let the system finish booting at instructions, idle there a bit, maybe it will work for you.
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 22:28

No go.. for the last hour or two its just been restarting whether I let it stay at the instructions or if I go to the z-wheel =( .

The reason it upsets me so much I think is because all the info and data Im gathering from trying these different things are all inconclusive >=( .

If I knew exactly why it was doing what it was doing or how to get around it (even if it involved me just letting it idle for 5 mins) I'd be fine.

Its just so damn frustrating!

Thanks for all your help tho guys!

And on-topic, it doesn't matter which adapter I need to get in terms of price. I'll pay whatever it costs for the best version so that we can get it right

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por metallizer Sex 04 Fev 2011, 23:11

sorry to hear,

I could be in the wrong direction after all, helping the system to do a full boot up, it could be the other way around. The 3g connection procedure should fail by rushing thru everything and starting a game.

Back to square one. study
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por Rockman Sex 04 Fev 2011, 23:58

You know, it may be the whole 3G thing or at least it may have to do with the system trying to find a network because I just counted from the time it loaded the black "Bem-Vindo ao zeebo!" screen all the way until it restarts and it's always at approximately 90 seconds or about a minute and a half...

The fact that it's restarting at the same time every time means that the system is trying to do something at that time and it restarts when it cant.. But there's a few reasons why Im confused by this.

1. If you guys can't get a connection at all on your zeebo for 1:30, it doesn't restart on you, does it?

2. How come sometimes it actually lets me play for days and doesn't power off/restart unless I take out the adapter? I mean obviously when I re-insert the adapter it does what it always does, but those times when it doesn't restart I wonder whats going on?

TripleO, do you know exactly what happens during the minute and a half that the zeebo starts up? Also is there anyway (with openzeebo of course) to make it so that your zeebo doesn't do that activity when it boots up?

Finally I feel like we're at least getting somewhere with this!

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por Rockman Sáb 05 Fev 2011, 14:00

Ok, I know you shouldn't double post but my zeebo did something weird last night and I wanted to know if any of you guys had any idea what this is:

I left my zeebo plugged in while it was doing the constant restart thing adn actually ended up falling asleep. Well I woke up in the middle of the night and the front lights of the zeebo (you know the little blue strip about the power button and usb slots?) was blinking on and off.

I turned my tv on and the zeebo was at the instruction screen, I pressed home and it took me into the z-wheel... and ever since last night my zeebo has been working fine.

Now I AM happy that it's working and not restarting, but does anyone here know what the heck that was??

Rockman
Membro

Mensagem por metallizer Sáb 05 Fev 2011, 14:26

sleep mode, if you leave it on but don't do anything after ?15? minutes it goes into sleep mode and the front light blinks.
metallizer
metallizer
Membro

Mensagem por TripleOxygen Sáb 05 Fev 2011, 14:29

If you leave Zeebo on for a while, it'll enter in a kind of sleep mode, where it blinks the front panel, like you said. Zeebo Inc./Tectoy suggests you to leave it like this over the night, so the console can receive updates.

Since you do not have connection to ZeeboNet, you did not download anything. Very strange what happened with yours!
Maybe the update timer triggered some pending update that was already inside the console but hadn't been applied? Razz Dunno!

Just a quick insight on Zeebo reboots and crashes: BREW OS is quite "stupid" when it comes to user-space applications isolation. If the app/game causes an exception, like an access violation, not the game will crash but the entire system. And in consequence, the console will reboot. That said, constant reboots on Zeebo can easily be software related, like an older version of Zeebo App or any other component.

If you still planning buying the JTAG dongle, you can buy the Signalyzer then, it's a very good one. Smile
TripleOxygen
TripleOxygen
Admin
Admin

Mensagem por Conteúdo patrocinado

Conteúdo patrocinado

Página 1 de 2 1, 2  Seguinte

Ir para o topo